Saturday, November 14, 2009

Oh, Good God.




What do Ernestine and my cat James have in common?
Well, not much at first glance, but last night both kind of came into play.
With this cooler weather, all three of my kitties (James, Nick and Baby Jake)have started clinging to me for warmth at night. Not satisfied with mere proximity, they've all decided my head is my warmest feature, so they take turns trying to lay on it. Not near it, ON it.
As I've aged, I'm a much lighter sleeper. Once the kitties leave me alone I'm able to fall asleep and I value it. If something awakens me, it's very hard to get back to sleep.
Enter the telephone.
For the last week or so, my caller ID lists a name I'm not familiar with and they never leave a message. Last night at 1 a.m. the phone rang but I was still up watching TV and let it go to voicemail. When I played the message, it was a woman and man sort of laughing and talking, with a crying toddler in the background. Obviously it was a purse or pocket call, so I blew it off.
Then at 3 a.m. the phone rang again.
I grabbed the phone and it hung up. It was the same number so I called it. No answer. I was fuming. I was wide awake and fuming. I called back 15 minutes later and a young Latina woman answered.
"Hello?"
"Yes, uhh, this phone number keeps showing up on my caller ID and I don't know who this is, but I'd appreciate it if the calls would stop."
"Who eees thees?"
"My name is Karen, but since I don't know you or whomever else uses your phone, I'm going to ask you not to call my number again."
"Hoo kay. Goobye."

I figure her stupid husband or boyfriend must have called me once by accident and hung up. Then she, being suspicious of him, pressed redial and heard my voice on my message, and the race was on. I guess she kept calling hoping to catch me.

All that's well and good, but there I was wide awake at 3:15 a.m. with the kitties wide awake again and searching for more of my cranial warmth. I finally got fed up and just got out of bed for the day.

Now my eyes feel like they've been sanded, the kitties are awake and hyper, and there'll be no rest all day.
If that chick pulls this again, I will hunt her down and ram her phone where her dialing fingers cannot reach. Grrrr.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i can do you one better.

Every year at harvest time, we get hispanic males calling for the same hispanic female. They do not speak a lick of english and they call between 5am and 1am. We get about 15 calls a day. I have no idea what service she provides but these guys really want to talk to her.

I tell them they have the wrong number but they fucking keep calling back..I would change our number but the Ball n' Chain has had this number since before the turn of the last century.

nonnie9999 said...

can you block the phone number?

Karen Zipdrive said...

I probably can, but I have a hunch the tone in my voice last night at 3 a.m. may have convinced her my patience was *extremely* finite.

Distributorcap said...

i can sleep through the phone ringing - i can sleep through a bomb

Karen Zipdrive said...

Wow, D-Cap. You sound like a fun guy to nap with.
Do you know if you snore?

Dusty, my Big Sis called me to laugh about your comment. Too bad you aren't a hooker, with such an established seasonal clientele.