Monday, January 10, 2005

Am I Going Insane?

I read today that Brad Pitt and Jennifer Anniston have separated.
I am not a wild fan of either, but they seem like two nice, decent people.
For some reason, the news made me sadder than it should.
Maybe it's because I had filed them in the happily-married-for-life section, like Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.
I am starting to think that marriage should be restructured on a year to year basis, where a couple has to go through some kind of yearly rigamarole to recommit.
For all the hubbub we've had to hear about the sanctity of a union between a man and a woman, heterosexual marriage is starting to look a lot like the no-fault, serial monagamy a lot of us queers practice.
It certainly doesn't seem any stabler than what we do.
I see no moral highground with these breeders.

No comments: