Monday, March 25, 2002

Speaking of Funerals...

After attending someone's funeraI, I often ponder the music I want played at mine.
I want it to reflect who I was as a person, and at the same time shock the mourners into laughing rather than crying at my demise.

Here are some possibilities:

•It's Raining Men- the Weathergirls. Everyone at the funeral will know that I was not into men, but I was into dancing to this gay anthem, so the irony will be delicious.
•Obla di Obla da- The Beatles. Life goes on - braaaa!
•Gimme Shelter- The Rolling Stones. Unless I am killed by a gunshot wound ("it's just a shot away"), this song has an eerie sort of quality I think would lend itself nicely to a funeral.
•Girls Just Wanna Have Fun- Cindy Lauper. This one speaks for itself.
•And When I Die- Laura Nyro. How cool is this song?
•Why?- Annie Lennox. A small act of atonement for my wicked sins.
•Nessun Dorma -from the opera Turandot. Hey, may as well remind the mourners I had a classic side...besides I like the "nobody sleeps tonight" theme.
•I Still Haven't Found What I'm looking For. U2 or The Chimes version. A little existential angst always adds to the gaiety of a funeral.
and finally:
"In Trutino" from Carmina Burana. This aria has the virginal maiden pondering a life of piety and chastity versus the pleasures of the flesh. She chooses the latter.
Et voila, cest moi!
What songs do you want at your funeral?

No comments: