Monday, September 08, 2003

And Then, a Little Light Turned on

Chari over at TECHFLUID posed a question about gay marriage. In my response, I used the term theocracy to describe the Resident's regime.
I looked it up to be sure I was using it correctly.
Dig this:
Main Entry: the·oc·ra·cy
Pronunciation: thE-'รค-kr&-sE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
Etymology: Greek theokratia, from the- + -kratia -cracy
Date: 1622
1 : government of a state by immediate divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided
2 : a state governed by a theocracy

That's when the light turned on.
America is a democracy. Not a theocracy.
Bush proudly proclaims he was told by God to be president, and is guided by God in his decision making.
Nothing wrong with that, except we live in a democracy.
He was (sort of) elected to run a democracy. Democracy means, "a state governed by the people." No God mentioned there.
I love God, don't get me wrong, but in my job as a writer my clients would balk if I started crediting God for their latest product or innovation. I can honestly say I have never used the word God in one article I have written for profit.
Now at least I can say the Dubya's basic problem is he signed on to lead a democracy and opted instead to lead a theocracy. With that as the root, I can see why he started off on the wrong foot and has stayed there ever since.

No comments: