Wednesday, February 13, 2002

The Royal Tannenbaums, Religion, Politics and Skating

Just got back from seeing that movie and I was amused to find Gene Hackman's character reminded me of my own father. He too tried to come back around decades later and get chummy with us again, with about the same ratio of success. My dad's also a sort of a likable, colorful, amusing, self-absorbed asshole.
I have heard mixed reviews about the movie, but I liked it. It was funny in an Addam's Family, Twin Peaks sort of way.
Today is Ash Wednesday. As a recovering Catholic, I like to ponder what I'd be willing to give up for lent. Rule out chocolate, swearing, and a few other vices I won't mention here.
I am thinking I'd give up lima beans and anything sold by Long John Silver's.
Meanwhile, Texas Governor Rick Perry has written a letter to the Texas Boxing Federation recommending they deny Mike Tyson a license to box in this state. Good for him.
Tyson is an animal who doesn't deserve to make millions of dollars in the ring. He ought to be in prison, somewhere besides Texas.
Speaking of miserable, lowdown sons of bitches, the French judge for Olympics pair figure skating admitted in a judges' meeting, after the Russian team were awarded gold medals they did not deserve, that the French Skating Federation pressured her to vote with the Russians in order to get the Russians' votes for France in the ice dancing competition.
When the President of the international Ice Skating Federation confronted her, she lied through her teeth and said she was not coerced to vote for the lesser Russian skaters. Bullshit!
The Canadians Sales and Pelletier were robbed and this shameful scam should be protested until they are awarded the gold medals they earned.
I hope the French ice dancers eat some bad shrimp about 8 hours before they take the ice and projectile vomit on the judges' stand during their triple Lutzes.

No comments: