Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Easter

I'm not a practicing Christian per se, but I like Easter because it's spring, plants are flowering and I get to spend time with my family.
Just because I am not affiliated with any Christian church, however, I still am aware of the kind of person Jesus was, and the kind of spiritual traits he possessed.

Bush claims to be a born-again Christian, and his cabinet all seem to be devout Christians as well.

If that's the case, can anyone name anything "Christian" BushCo has done in the last six years?
Was invading Iraq Christian?
Is the continuing boondoggle in the Katrina-ravaged Gulf Christian?
Was cutting funding for schools Christian?
Was giving big tax cuts to the wealthiest of Americans Christian?
Is hamstringing Mexican aliens who want a better life Christian?
Is singling out gay people and denying them the same rights as straight people Christian?

There must be something Christian Bush has done--and I don't mean pandering to radical fundamentalist Christians who hate more than they love.

This Easter, ask yourself what our Christian president has done that Jesus would bless.
Anyone?

8 comments:

Lulu Maude said...

Anyone?...Anyone?

(Long silence.)

The Educated Eclectic said...

Continuing the long silence...can't think of a thing.

JimBob said...

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree...it's been my experience that "Christians" generally have one tenet: "Believe like I do or you are wrong and in need of saving (or beating into submission, whichever is more profitable to my cause)".

With that, I have to say that BushCo is acting VERY Christian.

Anonymous said...

I'm at a loss... I can't think of a single thing. I don't know for sure if Dubya and Pickles even went to church on Easter. Michael Rogers wrote about how Dubya and his White House team snubbed the LGBT families wanting to participate in the annual Easter egg hunt:
http://www.blogactive.com/2006/04/over-at-executive-mansion.html

Trish said...

This post reminds me of that scene from American Dad where Bush gets a phone call from Jesus, saying, "You're embarrassing me. Please stop referring to me so much in your speeches." And Bush says something like, "I gotta go. Cheney is on the other line."

Karen Zipdrive said...

I had the best damn Easter yesterday. Eclair and I went up to Austin and had a delicious meal with my family.
My big sister even made me a wonderful Easter basket filled with office supplies. Very useful.
:D

Unknown said...

Office supplies? that is so cute..really it is..

About the Shrub doing anything Christian..nope..nothing comes to mind here either.

Lulu Maude said...

Isn't that amazing?!? Most of us have high expectations for what "Christian" behavior should be, in spite of the people who tout themselves as BEING ChristianS! Jesus wouldn't know what to do with these shmucks.

I remember a civil rights leader of the 60s, Louis Lomax, saying, "Christianity hasn't failed. It hasn't been tried."

I really love Jesus, though, and consider him to be my primary teacher.