Sunday, April 09, 2006

Tea Party: When it's Time to Go

I attended an afternoon tea party on Sunday at the home of one of my friends who has what appears to be a fortune. None of us know where she got or how she made her money, but it's pretty obvious she has a lot of it.
It was all ladies, most of whom are straight and over 50, yet four other lesbians and I were invited because it's apparently chic for rich, single ladies to have lesbian friends.
The food was fabulous, the weather was perfect, and our hostess must have had her gardener working overtime, because her yard was festooned with every flower that can grow in South Texas. Gorgeous.
All in all, it was a lovely, relaxing afternoon... until Mary the Republican who smells like a ten-pound block of Camay soap came over to say hello.
At the time, I was talking politics with some rational, Bush loathing folks, one of whom had just attended a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton and found her charming.
I was dying to ask her more about the meeting, but then Mary the Republican sort of squeezed herself in between us and started yammering about how she still thinks Bush is doing a fine job. She even said she'd vote for him again.
I felt my jaw clench and tried to remain in a suitable tea party disposition, but my date was making crazy eyes at me so I'd keep myself in check.
Just as my voice started to amplify a bit about gas prices, Mary the Republican butt in and said, "Well, you'll be happy I didn't vote in the Republican primaries because I am voting for Kinky Friedman for governor."
Instantly, the ice melted and we actually high fived.
My date and I used the detente to slip into the next room, where we found seats at a nice, isolated table.
Alas, we were quickly joined by a 65-year-old British lady who loves to tell and retell the same stories in excruciating detail. Her appearance was followed quickly thereafter by Mary the Republican who smells like Camay soap.
We were cornered.
We'd just gotten cups of scalding hot coffee, so we couldn't exactly gulp and go.
But then when the British lady started telling us for the third time about the wrought iron planter her husband had gotten her for their patio, we developed asbestos mouths, downed our coffee in two gulps and got up to leave.
I was just glad the event was alcohol free, because between the cheap soap using Bush lover and the British Jabberjaws, I would have told one she was crazy and the other that she needed to shut the hell up and stop telling the same stories.
Otherwise, it was a lovely afternoon.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Asbestos is a cancer-causing substance..but other than that, you high-fived the repube? Why exactly was she voting for Kinky? I would of been curious how someone that thinks the Shrub is doing a good job could morph into a Kinky supporter.

You are a better person than I do withstand the assult of these two woman.God bless you KZ :P

Anonymous said...

You're a better woman than me, Gunga Din! I would've lost my mind at a party like that.

Sounds like you carried it off pretty well. These two lines had tears of laughter streaming down my face: "it's apparently chic for rich, single ladies to have lesbian friends" and "the Republican who smells like a ten-pound block of Camay soap". Oh shit, it's happening again! LMAO

Lulu Maude said...

There's a guy at my library with Down's syndrome who loves Bush and is very tight with his church. He says in his Down's innocent way that Dubya is a Christian. He would love nothing more than to catch Osama Bin Laden for the love of him. Sometimes it's a real tooth-grinder. Once I said, "There are lots of Christians who don't agree with President Bush." Then I shut my menacing mouth.

Karen Zipdrive said...

I actually like to get into uncomfortable social situations because it gives me good material for later.
LuLu, your little retarded friend is in good company. Perhaps his Uncle Clyde can get him a job sorting mail at the post office when he grows up.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, stopkinky.

What politician hasn't promised all sides what they wanted to hear then did what he wanted once elected? Put on your pointy-headed thinking cap and you might realize George W. Bush did that, Bill Clinton did that, George Herbert Walker Bush did that, Ronald Reagan did that, etc.

Convince me that Kinky is worse than anyone else and I just might give serious consideration to your devious little plan.

Unknown said...

Penny..I think that guy is already wearing his aluminum hat dear..

Unknown said...

er..tin foil hat..I am tired, I marched today.

Karen Zipdrive said...

Stopkinky,
I am glad I skipped the Democratic primaries so I could sign Kinky's petition. I'd do it again.
I have no passion for anyone in the Democratic runoffs, so I'll skip voting in them as well.
Having heard Kinky speak in person and in countless televised interviews, he strikes me as someone whose views match my own better than any other candidate.
Some of your allegations against him sound utterly implausible, if not totally dishonest. I am too busy to investigate each allegation, but I have pretty good instincts for political propaganda, and your list flunks the smell test.
Think and vote as you like, but please don't consider this a regular venue for Kinky bashing.
You've said your piece, and thanks for stopping by.
As for the Texas Governorship, may the best Jew-Boy win.

Karen Zipdrive said...

Sorry pal, the Swift Bloat Veterans for Truth sort of spoiled these types of volunteered links.
I fully believe the GOP is capable of sending out messengers to dog any candidate who opposes their man.You are the only person I've known to further this "Kinky is Two-faced" thread.
Perry has more to fear from Kinky than any other candidate.
As I have already said, you've had ample space to air your views on my site. Please desist now, lest I delete further comments and links.
Thank you kindly.

Karen Zipdrive said...

P.S. to stopkinky:

Are you perchance planning to vote for Rick Perry?