Thursday, April 09, 2009

Mmm Spanish Tortilla Zipdrive.



My new business partners are from Madrid, and the wife is a gourmet cook who invites me to dinner at their house several times a week.
One of my favorite thing she makes is Spanish tortilla, basically an omelet with potatoes.
I decided to make a little one for myself for dinner. This recipe will serve two if there are sides, or one if that's all you're serving.
To increase the recipe, use a one egg to one small potato ratio, or two eggs to one baked potato-sized potato.
Don't use a skillet wider than your biggest plate. Trust me on this.

Recipe:

One Yukon Gold potato, peeled and sliced into thin, uniform slices
Two XL eggs, beaten like scrambled eggs
2 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 T. Fresh Rosemary, minced
1 T. Green Onions, tops only, sliced fine

Saute the potatoes in oil until soft but not golden brown
Cool the potatoes on a plate while you rinse and dry the non-stick 9" skillet
Once the potatoes are warm but not hot, return to the skillet
Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes, and sprinkle with S&P and herbs
Cook over medium heat until the edges start to come away from the pan
Flip the contents onto a large plate, then flip that, raw side down, back into skillet.
Cook another few minutes till you have a hunch it's done. Remove to a plate.
Cut into wedges like a pie.

It's really fast and simple but it's filling and delicious.
My friend leaves out the herbs, but that's up to you. You can add diced bacon or ham or grated cheese or sliced olives or whatever else you want, just don't overdo it because you want the eggs to stick to the potatoes.

7 comments:

Lulu Maude said...

Yummm... I am printing this one out.

p.s. Come over for an announcement that may interest you.

Karen Zipdrive said...

That was one hell of an announcement, Lulu.
I guess we won't be getting that second bite of the apple then, huh?
Oh well, we'll always have The Little Shrimp.

Dr. Monkey said...

Sounds delish. Make me one if I ever make it out your way.

Unknown said...

Damn, it sounds absolutely delish! I am filching it too. ;)

nonnie9999 said...

damn, that sounds good! i wonder if you can cheat and use already-made hash brown patties (i have them in the fridge, and i don't know what the hell to do with all of them).

lisahgolden said...

I'm definitely going to learn how to make this. Thank you for sharing it, Oh Queen of the Photoshop Bomber!

Distributorcap said...

i am gonna make one next week