Monday, April 06, 2009

Robert Gates and the Defense Budget

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates has spoken out about cutting some of the incredible fat out of the defense budget, causing the right-wing nutters to flip out and claim he's trying to undermine America's security.
We all know defense contractors and aerospace industries make billions off us tax payers--with huge defense contracts, cost overruns, no bid, secret contracts and other crooked stuff the right-wing just loves to lade them with, never questioning any of it. Why should they, when those industries contribute billions to their political campaigns and PACs?
Upon hearing Gates's remarks, I was reminded of this great cartoon Ben Cohen of Ben and Jerry's ice cream put together a few years back.
Watch it, then tell me why the government shouldn't cut back on superfluous defense spending. It's an oldie but I think it's worth another look. Enjoy.

Ben Cohen explains the Federal Budget using Oreo Cookies

5 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I'm not fan of Bob Gates but I am a fan of this move.

Karen Zipdrive said...

I think once he escaped from the Dick of Doom and the Bush Thicket, he told Obama how batshit crazy they were, got to keep his job and now he's keeping it real.

Anonymous said...

KZ, I think that you hit the nail right on the head. Gates has always been respected in the Military community and it looks like he will do a good job.

Unknown said...

I love the cookie video!

Gates will do the right thing..I hope..he has changed a lot since The Shrub left office.

Karen Zipdrive said...

Here's the text of Gates's speech. I loved it!
http://www.defenselink.mil/speeches/speech.aspx?speechid=1341