Just in Case You Get Tempted
This summer I have observed people frolicking at ice cream stores, eating the sweet, creamy delights to their poor heart's discontent.
Like a needy child, peering through the window at FAO Schwartz, I have felt deprived.
Now I am feeling better.
No longer satisfied with selling mere cones and cups, many ice cream retailers have added some spectacular new concoctions to thrill their clientele.
Alas, some of these add up to fat and calories that exceed a steak dinner with all the trimmings.
Here ya go, courtesy of WebMD Medical News:
• Häagen-Dazs' Mint Chip Dazzler -- With three scoops of mint chip ice cream, hot fudge, Oreos, chocolate sprinkles, and whipped cream, this portable sundae has 1,270 calories and 38 grams of saturated fat.
• Baskin Robbins' vanilla shake (large) -- At 24 ounces, this seemingly benign beverage still has 1,070 calories and 32 saturated fat grams.
• Cold Stone Creamery's Mud Pie Mojo -- A mix of coffee ice cream, roasted almonds, fudge, Oreos, peanut butter, and whipped topping with 1,180 calories and 26 grams of saturated fat.
• Friendly's Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cyclone (large) -- Vanilla ice cream topped with creamy peanut butter sauce, hot fudge, marshmallows, whipped topping, sprinkles, and Reese's Pieces tipped the scales at 1,470 calories and 28 grams of saturated fat.
• Ben and Jerry's Brownie Special -- A brownie topped with vanilla ice cream, peanuts, hot fudge, and whipped cream has 1,020 calories and 22 grams of saturated fat.
• TCBY's Toffee Coffee Cappuccino Chiller (large) -- A concoction of frozen yogurt, milk, coffee flavoring, and whipped topping that contains 1,200 calories and 30 grams of saturated fat.
My Healthy Choice sugar-free ice creams may have some gassy aftereffects, but I think I'll stick with them all the same.