Thursday, September 12, 2002

It's All About God

Last night I felt I had to watch at least some coverage of the one year anniversary of the attacks on America. I chose to watch PBS, because I knew they would spare me the waving flags and incessant views of the towers collapsing.
PBS was the perfect choice for the mood I was in last night.
They had a feature called Frontline: Faith and Doubt at Ground Zero, where clergy from all major religions expressed their views on the terrorists, the conflict and war.
All were able to find flaws that contribute to the world's woes within their own religions.
One clergyman nailed it.
He said every religion has a dark side.
I began to think.
Catholic clergymen have been molesting children and subjugating women for centuries.
Fundamentalist Christians think nothing of killing abortion providers, gays and others who don't share their concrete religious tenets.
The Ku Klux Klan is our nation's Taliban.
Jews in the spell of religious zealousness can kill and maim others at will.
Muslim and Islamic radicals can blur the true meaning of a jihad and go berserk in their killing sprees, then in their dying words, praise Allah.
No major religion is without a dark side.
I urge anyone interested to go to PBS Interviews and see for yourself what the world's leading religious thinkers had to say about the atrocities on September 11.


No comments: