Sunday, September 29, 2002

The Night Listener

They say when the student is ready, the teacher appears.
I am so glad I happened upon this book, "The Night Listener" by Armistead Maupin, because it's about finding love, then having the reality of that love cast into doubt, then having to suspend all doubt and common sense and decide to love anyway.
I don't think I have that skill, not yet.
I take some pretty daring emotional risks, but it's hard for me to love past too many red flags and so easy for me to run when I smell fear in someone else.
I am just toward the end of the book, so I don't even know if the protagonist's decision was worth it.
I heard the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
I think the true opposite of love may be fear. I think fear makes us set up impossible scenarios that insulate us from our fear of loving.
Little things can become great monuments to self protection, and it's easier to bail than face our demons or fears.
This book exposes all that and more. It's no accident I found it.

No comments: