Thursday, May 01, 2003

There's Got to be a Morning After

The good news is my morning glucose was 105 (normal humans range from 70 to 124) so I didn't actually harm myself during last night's rabble rousing.
We had a very nice turnout at the restaurant, with about 25 or 30 good friends from all walks of my life. The margaritas were flying.
Melly made an entrance, which caught the eye of everyone there. We met for the first time and it was like we'd already known each other several hours. My friends were looking at me like I was an old lecher, which was the exact effect I was striving for.
She's one of those tall, cute girls but fortunately not Jenna and Heidi's type of cute. She'd probably hang out with Cwisty. Melly's very quick with the wisecracks and held her own with the drunks that followed us home after dinner.
Man, did I get some great gifts. I got books on politics, books on diabetes and enough gift certificates to buy books, CD's and videos for the rest of the year. We're talking like $400 worth of shopping possibilities.
In the midst of opening the gifts, a total stranger (sort of a cowboy/construction worker type) came up to me and pressed a ten dollar bill into my hand and said happy birthday. How cool was that?
I offered Trish my computer tech the ten to update my browser. She deferred.
I offered Melly the tenner to dance for us. She declined.
For some reason, once we got to my house, nobody wanted much to do with the sugar free strawberry-strewn angelfood cake. We did however want a lot to do with the magnum of champagne and another party favor I will refrain from mentioning, except to say Woody Harrelson, Cheech AND Chong would have been pleased.
Champagne is low in carbos, so I was able to indulge in quite a bit of it. I ended up giving an impromptu shoe fashion show, which went over as well as can be expected.
I called my recent ex girlfriend that afternoon, hoping to extend an olive branch and invite her to the party. I never knew ice crystals could actually form on the earpiece of a telephone. Suffice it to say, she did not show up. Methinks that chapter is sealed shut for eternity.
What really struck me was who *was* there. I am one lucky crone to have friends and family like them.
Fifty started out really well. I think I'm going to like it.
(Thanks to all who showed up, especially Anna who planned the whole thing. I love you guys)

P.S. Grey Bird gave me my own domain, Karen Zipdrive.com!
All I have to do now is figure out what to do with it! xox

No comments: