Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Wednesday Blog-o-Rama

I should have awakened in a horrid mood.
• The Spurs lost a sure-win last night against the Dallas Mavericks. It's now 3-2.
I missed part of the second quarter because I ended up talking basketball with a long distance telemarketer for 15 minutes. He's a Kings fan, so I reassured him that the Maloof brothers would do whatever it took for them to be a better team next season.
• My living room and dining room look like Armageddon. Painting the ceilings today is not a choice, it is a must, lest my feng shui sensitivities be forever warped.
• I am one day away from a haircut and I awakened looking like a cross between a pineapple and a troll doll. No outdoor appearances for me today.
• I keep losing and gaining the same two pounds. I am calling it "new muscle weight."
I have been lifting weights a lot lately so that's my alibi and I'm sticking to it.
• My best friend Anna's son Andrei is worrying us. He's about to enter first grade and his early development was hampered by neglect in a Romanian orphanage. He spent his first year in a ratty little crib all by himself and I'm sure nutrition was lacking, not to mention vital physical contact.
Also, he's one of those kids who doesn't quite fit the little boy mold. He's not a jock, he isn't rough and he likes to sing and play with girls.
I keep telling her it's better to have a little Billy Elliot type kid than some big lug who grows up to be a frat boy and ends up wearing Dockers and button down collar shirts while he drinks beer at some titty bar.
He may have a rough childhood but I'll bet it'll make him a better man. His parents love him and will provide him with anything he needs for educational advancement, so he'll be okay, we just wish he was already okay.
• I am out of groceries. Well, I am out of cool groceries, that is. My fruit supply has dwindled down to a wrinkled mango, a bruised pear and two elderly lemons. Even my obsessively huge diet soda collection is waning.
• Yesterday, I got a tax bill for $868. I have it, I just hate to give it to those greedy bastards.

Still, I am in a curiously good mood.
I think it's because I've been reading Rumi before I go to sleep every night. It's sort of like a cross between the Bible and ee cummings.
Also, I received a copy of the double CD "Luaka Bop 10th Anniversary: Zero Accidents on the Job" from Amazon.com yesterday.
Luaka Bop is the record label founded by Talking Heads David Byrne, and this CD is a sampler of his artists' music.
Here's the thing. If you like obscure World Music with lots of percussion and beautiful vocals singing in exotic, foreign languages, this CD fills the bill.
I intend to blast it while I paint. I just know it'll make the work go fast.

No comments: