All this war talk is making my neck muscles tight.
So, after a morning of reading horrible war junk, please allow me to post some quotes about peace.
· Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein
· Give peace a chance. - John Lennon
· The need is not really for more brains; the need now is for a gentler, a more tolerant people than those who won for us against the ice, the tiger and the bear. - Loren Eiseley
· All works of love are works of peace. - Mother Theresa
· True peace is not merely the absence of tension but is the presence of justice and brotherhood. - Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.
· Hatred, prejudice and anger are what caused this terrible tragedy, and the people of the city of New York should act differently. We should act bravely. We should act in a tolerant way. We should go about our business, and we should show these people that they can't stop us. - New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, Sept. 11, 2001
· When peace has been broken anywhere, the peace of all countries is in danger. - Franklin Delano Roosevelt
· A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular. - Adlai Stevenson, American politician
· Let us seek a world in which security is gained through disarmament, international cooperation, and social justice not through escalation and retaliation. - from a statement drafted by New York City staff of the War Resisters League; September 11, 2001
· If the corporations have their way, the Earth will be killed, and that's in your lifetime. It's revolting to me that students are being trained to work in corporations. It's obscene to me that the corporations are running the world. We've got to get cross. Anger is an appropriate emotion. - Dr. Helen Caldicott, Australia, 4/20/01
· Peace-making is a healing process and it begins with me, but it does not end there .- Gene Knudsen Hoffman, on the subject of Compassionate Listening as a peacemaking tool.
· Peace is the only battle worth waging. - Albert Camus
· "If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies.- Moshe Dayan, Israel
· Now somebody will ask me, Pete, how can you prove these songs really make a difference? And I have to confess I can't prove a darn thing, except that the people in power must think they do something, because they keep the songs off the air. - Pete Seeger
· Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man. - Gandhi
· There ought to be limits to freedom. - George W. Bush, complaining about a website (www.gwbush.com) critical of him, at an Austin Press Conference, May 21, 1999.
· We're fighting people that hates our values. They can't stand what America stands for. - George W. Bush, in his speech, "President Bush on Retaliation and State of the Economy" (October 26, 2001)
· My administration has been calling upon all the leaders in the -- in the Middle East to do everything they can to stop the violence, to tell the different parties involved that peace will never happen. - George W. Bush, Crawford, Texas, August 13, 2001
· I assured the prime minister, my administration will work hard to lay the foundation of peace in the Middle -- to work with our nations in the Middle East, give peace a chance. Secondly, I told him that our nation will not try to force peace, that we'll facilitate peace and that we will work with those responsible for a peace. - George W. Bush, March 2001.
· Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an assignment.- George W. Bush, Interview, The New York Times, January 14, 2001