Saturday, June 25, 2005

The Solecisms of George W. Bush
or God Help Us With This Ignorant Fool


There is a lot of helping moving into this part of the world,
Punta Gorda, Florida
August 15, 2001
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
as quoted in New York Times
August 5, 2004
For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it.
Washington, D.,C.
May 14, 2001
Anyway, I'm so thankful, and so gracious - I'm gracious that my brother Jeb is concerned about the hemisphere as well.
Washington, D.C.
June 4, 2001
The power that be, well most of the power that be, sits right here.
Washington, D.C.
June 18, 2001
They misunderestimated the fact that we love a neighbor in need. They misunderestimated the compassion of our country. I think they misunderestimated the will and determination of the Commander-in-Chief, too.
Washington, D.C.
Sept 26, 2001
The ambassador and the general were briefing me on the -- the vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world. And we will find these people and we will bring them to justice.
Washington, D.C.
Oct 27, 2003
Then you wake up at the high school level and find out that the illiteracy level of our children are appalling.
Washington, D.C.
Jan. 23, 2004
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
Washington, D.C.
Jan. 29 2004
In my judgment, when the United States says there will be serious consequences, and if there isn't serious consequences, it creates adverse consequences.
Meet the Press
Feb. 8, 2004
God loves you, and I love you. And you can count on both of us as a powerful message that people who wonder about their future can hear.
Los Angeles, California
Mar. 3, 2004
Why don't you mentor a child how to read?
St. Louis, MIssouri
Jan. 5, 2004
I want to remind you all that in order to fight and win the war, it requires an expenditure of money that is commiserate with keeping a promise to our troops to make sure that they're well-paid, well-trained, well-equipped.
Washington, D.C.
Dec. 15, 2003
The Iraqis need to be very much involved. They were the people that was brutalized by this man.
Washington, D.C.
Dec. 15, 2003
Whether they be Christian, Jew, or Muslim, or Hindu, people have heard the universal call to love a neighbor just like they'd like to be called themselves.
Washington, D.C.
Oct. 8, 2003
We had a chance to visit with Teresa Nelson who's a parent, and a mom or a dad.
Jacksonville, Florida
Sept. 9, 2003
Now, we talked to Joan Hanover. She and her husband, George, were visiting with us. They are near retirement — retiring — in the process of retiring, meaning they're very smart, active, capable people who are retirement age and are retiring.
Alexandria, Virginia
Feb. 12, 2003
The war on terror involves Saddam Hussein because of the nature of Saddam Hussein, the history of Saddam Hussein, and his willingness to terrorize himself.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Jan. 29, 2003
One year ago today, the time for excuse-making has come to an end.
Washington, D.C.
Jan. 8, 2003
There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
Nashville, Tennessee
Sept. 17, 2002
The federal government and the state government must not fear programs who change lives, but must welcome those faith-based programs for the embetterment of mankind.
Stockton, California
Aug. 23, 2002
We hold dear what our Declaration of Independence says, that all have got uninalienable rights, endowed by a Creator.
Moscow
May 24, 2002
The public education system in America is one of the most important foundations of our democracy. After all, it is where children from all over America learn to be responsible citizens, and learn to have the skills necessary to take advantage of our fantastic opportunistic society.
Unknown source
May 1, 2002
My trip to Asia begins here in Japan for an important reason. It begins here because for a century and a half now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and enduring alliances of modern times. From that alliance has come an era of peace in the Pacific.
Tokyo, Japan
Feb. 18, 2002
Let me finish for a minute, John, please. I'm just getting warmed up. I'm finding my feet.

And that's really my only comment I've got.
News Conference
July 30, 2003
There's a lot of countries that can help.
Interview, Newsweek Magazine
April 30, 2003
The first time we may be completely certain he has nuclear weapons is when, God forbids, he uses one.
Address to the UN General Assembly
September 12, 2002
changed in later transcripts to "God forbid . . . ."
I'm furious. But my furity will not keep me from . . .
After the terrorist attack on Hebrew University
August 1, 2002
changed in later transcripts to "Even though I am mad . . . ."
There is going to be a lot of Democrats who will support my plans to make our schools better.
Amarillo Globe-Times, November 10, 1994
Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children.
source unknown, September 18, 1995
You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.
reported in Newsweek, March 5, 2001
I am here to make an announcement that this Thursday, ticket counters and airplanes will fly out of Ronald Reagan Airport.
Washington, D.C.
Oct.3, 2001
The power that be, well most of the power that be, sits right here.
Washington, D.C.
June 18, 2001
If a person doesn't have the capacity that we all want that person to have, I suspect hope is in the far distant future, if at all.
Washington, D.C.
May 22, 2001
But I also made it clear to Vladimir Putin that it's important to think beyond the old days of when we had the concept that if we blew each other up, the world would be safe.
Washington, D.C.
May 1, 2001
This administration is doing everything we can to end the stalemate in an efficient way. We're making the right decisions to bring the solution to an end.
Washington, D.C.
April 10, 2001
I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but for predecessors as well.
Washington, D.C.
Jan. 29, 2001
Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an assignment.
Washington, D.C.
Jan. 14, 2001
I'm against hard quotas, quotas that basically delineate based upon whatever. However they delineate, quotas, I think, vulcanize society.
quoted in the Austin American-Statesman
I think the baby-boomer parent ought to say, "I've learned from mistakes I may or may not have made."
quoted in the New York Times
If affirmative action means what I'm for, I'm for it.
Presidential Debate, St. Louis, October 18, 2000
Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream.
Campaign Speech, LaCrosse, Wis., October 2000
I was raised in the West. The west of Texas. It's pretty close to California. In more ways than Washington, D.C., is close to California.
quoted by the Los Angeles Times, April 8, 2000
The most important job is not to be governor, or first lady in my case.
Unknown, January 2000
If the terriers and bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow.
Unknown, January 2000
There needs to be debates, like we're going through. There needs to be townhall meetings. There needs to be travel. This is a huge country.
on Larry King Live, December 16 1999
Actually, I — this may sound a little West Texan to you, but I like it. When I'm talking about — when I'm talking about myself, and when he's talking about myself, all of us are talking about me.
on Hardball, MSNBC May 31, 2000
Will the highways on the Internet become more few?
Unknown Source, Jan. 2000
I've got a record, a record that is conservative and a record that is compassionated.
Unknown Source, March 2000
I believe the results of focusing our attention and energy on teaching children to read and having an education system that's responsive to the child and to the parents, as opposed to mired in a system that refuses to change, will make America what we want it to be — a more literate country and a hopefuller country.
unknown, January 2001
Rarely is the question asked, Is our children learning?
Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream.
How many hands have I shaked?
quoted in the Washington Post
My guidance to them is, behave yourself. And they will.
Laura and I are looking forward to having a private dinner with he and Mrs Blair Friday night.
quoted in the Irish Times
Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease.
quoted in Newsweek
25 June 2001
I don't think there is a plot to try to put subliminable messages in the people's minds.
Interview, Orlando Florida
during the presidential campaign
It's an unimaginable honor to be the president during the Fourth of July of this country.
quoted in Newsweek
16 July 2001
I think it's important for those of us in a position of responsibility to be firm in sharing our experiences, to understand that the babies out of wedlock is a very difficult chore for mom and baby alike. ... I believe we ought to say there is a different alternative than the culture that is proposed by people like Miss Wolf in society. .. And, you know, hopefully, condoms will work, but it hasn't worked
In interview with Tim Russert
Meet the Press,
Nov. 21, 1999
It would be presumptive for someone who doesn't even have the nomination yet to be laying out the list of potential vice presidents.
quoted in Austin-American Statesman,
June 24, 1999
There is a lot of speculation and I guess there is going to continue to be a lot of speculation until the speculation ends.
quoted in Austin-American Statesman,
October 18, 1998
< P>
unknown
I wouldn't want to say this kind of development makes things to be moving too quickly at all ... so I'm not going to hypothecate that it may — anything goes too fast.
on the fall of the Berlin Wall,
December 17, 1989
Now is no time to speculate or hypothecate, but rather a time for action.
quoted in St. Petersburg Times,
March 22, 1992.
If you don't stand for anything, you don't stand for anything. If you don't stand for something, you don't stand for anything.
quoted in Austin-American Statesman,
November 2, 2000
That woman who knew I had dyslexia: I never interviewed her.
Interview (unknown)
We have a man detained who is a threat to the country and that thanks to the vigilance of our intelligence gathering and law enforcement he is now off the streets, where he should be.
quoted by Associated Press
June 11, 2002Laura and I don't realize how bright our children is sometimes until we get an objective analysis.
My education message will resignate amongst all parents.
I want a foreign-handed foreign policy.
quoted in The Bush Dyslexicon
by Mark Crispin Miller
W. W. Norton, 2001

No comments: