Friday, May 05, 2006

Ha! Bush Getting it From Both Sides

I heard on NPR today an interview with the head of the Border Militiamen, who was talking about the upcoming protest he and his compatriots are planning soon at Bush's Crawford "ranch."
The guy said Bush was reelected largely because voters expected him to guard the American/Mexican border with a military presence in order to stem the burgeoning tide of illegal immigration.
"He hasn't done what we told him to do, and we're fed-up," the guy said. "So we're gonna go to Crawford and make our voices heard."
Though Bush is not expected to be at his ranch at the time, the militiaman said, "He won't be there, but he'll hear about it."
More than 2,000 militiamen are expected to attend the protest rally in Crawford. These types are not the gentle Cindy Sheehan types of protesters. These are prototypical rednecks whose right to own guns is a sacred principle. I'm sure most of them will be packing heat at the protest.
Gee, I wonder if the Crawford cops will be forcing them to toe the line regarding where they set up and how they behave like they did Sheehan's group? I wonder if they'll be docile and polite about it?
I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that a group of people whose mission and politics are so different from my own have jumped on the anti-Bush bandwagon.
It took a while, but I knew Bush would eventually get around to pissing off everyone in America about one thing or another.
After all, time wounds all heels.
Meanwhile, my mild mannered, barely political brother Billy has designed a fabulous T-shirt with an illustration of the snake that adorns the Mexican flag. The headline in bold red says, "AHORA SI." Though there is no true idiomatic translation, basically it means, "YES, NOW."
He asked if I wanted one.
Hell yes I want one.
As for the latest protesters at the Crawford Ranch, all I can say is, you go, girls.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This August at the "ranch" should be a fun spectacle to watch! It'd be a real shame if people of ALL persuasions, political viewpoints, etc. all showed up to protest for the duration. You think Bush and Pickles would vacation at Kennebunkport instead? I think he'd still go to Crawford. Cowboying is hard work. Brush to clear. Bulls to milk. Arabian princes to hold hands with and entertain.

Karen Zipdrive said...

...not to mention crack to smoke and bourbon to drink while armed Secret Service guys stand outside the ranchhouse to watch for narcs.

I'd adore a cross-sectional protest at the Ranch.
Gather ye one and all:

Anti-war
Pro-stem cell
Pro-choice
Anti-immigration
Anti-abortion
Gay rights activists
Grammar teachers
Anti-gas prices
Pro-Islamics
Environmentalists
etc. etc. etc.
I'd have to cruise around and spend time in several camps.

Karen Zipdrive said...

Let's up the ante and have those big ole crosses lit on fire about every ten feet or so.
They can help clear up some of that stubborn brush the Decider likes to cut down with his little chainsaw.

Unknown said...

I hate those fucktards the militiamen but hey..if they want to protest, its their right. I think they might have to take a number however if they want to get close to the ranch..progressives already have all the good spots :P

What I find amusing is that the rightwingers always bitch about the left protesting..now they are going to jump on the bandwagon..I love the irony.

Anonymous said...

The people lighting those big ole crosses on fire would be the only Bush supporters he has left, right?

I can't decide if I want to vacation at Crawford this year. I'm sure the 24/7 chants, yells and screams would keep me up at night. Plus, I'd get a real bad case of laryngitis.

Anonymous said...

Crawford sounds like a little slice of heaven! Let me go throw some coins in my piggy bank for my August vacation:

"Crawford, the home of President George W. Bush, is a sun-scorched hole of a backwater Texas town -- a single dreary railroad crossing surrounded on all sides by roasted earth the color of dried dog shit. There are scattered clumps of trees and brush, but all the foliage seems bent from the sun's rays and ready at any moment to burst into flames.

The moaning cattle along the lonely roads sound like they're begging for their lives. The downtown streets are empty. Just as the earth is home to natural bridges, this place is a natural dead end -- the perfect place to drink a bottle of Lysol, wind up in a bad marriage, have your neck ripped out by a vulture.

It is a very unlikely place for a peace movement to be born. But that's exactly what happened a few weeks ago, when an aggrieved war mom named Cindy Sheehan set up camp along the road to the president's ranch and demanded a meeting with the commander in chief."
Bush vs. the Mother

Karen Zipdrive said...

Crawford'a nearest metropolis is Waco, which is definitely the anus of Texas.
It's the perfect locale for Bush's ranch. A wasteland.

Unknown said...

I read that RS article that penny linked..it was a funny and interesting POV on Camp Casey and the "other"side.