Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Update



Because so many of you commented on my post about loaning money to a slow (or maybe no) payer, I thought I'd update you on the latest development.
I met with the guy earlier this evening and he gave me a check for $1,000. He still owes me two grand, but that's better than three grand, plus it makes me think he might actually end up paying the whole amount one day.
He's still very interested in us being business partners, so I did a lot of smiling and nodding as he waxed eloquently about the potential for moneymaking we'd have as partners.
The last thing I was going to say to someone who still owes me money was, "Partners? Are you fucking kidding me? You're a total flake whose word is more wobbly than a bowl of Jell-O!"
But listen, the guy's a total sweetheart. He's got the enthusiasm of a bright, innocent child and he's very charming in a non-oily way. He's extremely intelligent, funny and kind-hearted. He just lacks wisdom about making promises he can't keep and his follow-through skills stink.
But the main thing is, my savings account just got a little jolt of energy and so did I. In two weeks I'll start bugging him for the rest of the dough, and I told him as much. He said, "You should--it's your money."
And he's right. It is.

4 comments:

Lulu Maude said...

oh zippie--i'm so glad. big relief.

nonnie9999 said...

y
i will add the a and the other y when he pays you the rest! however, better 1/3 than nothing. i get the feeling that he would have liked to have kept his word, but the wife had something to do with his tardiness.

lisahgolden said...

Good news. And you're so decent about it, too. I really like that about you.

Karen Zipdrive said...

Nonnie, his wife definitely controls the money, and she's got very expensive tastes.
I'm sure paying me off is very far down on her list of financial priorities.
She was off getting a manicure when I met with the guy yesterday. I know when I'm in dire financial straights, manicures* remain a major spending priority for me.

*Last time I had a professional manicure was on my 40th birthday.
She ruined my cuticles and left me with a hangnail.