Monday, January 19, 2004

The L Word

I hope some of you saw the new, lesbian based series "The L Word" last night on Showtime. I lllllllloved it! My downstairs lesbian wiring is still humming and twitching, in fact. I have a hunch this show will make straight women who always wondered what being with a lesbian in bed would be like, want to hurry and find out. The show centers on Bette and Tina, a lesbian couple played by Jennifer Beals (Flashdance) and Laurel Holliman, who played the adorable baby butch in the lesbian cult movie, "The Incredible True Adventures of Two Girls in Love." After seven years of being together, they want to have a baby. Seven years equals 15 years in the lesbian-to-straight relationship ratio. The baby thing is getting more common every year in lesbian relationships. In fact, I went to a huge lesbian baby shower over the weekend. Meanwhile, a vast array of all sorts of delicious lesbians have their subplots in the show. A personal favorite was when swelteringly hot cafe owner Marina seduces Jenny, the pretty, straight, recent college grad who just moved to Los Angeles to live with her boyfriend, Tim. Marina made smoke come out of my TV speakers. At least I think it was the speakers, but then my pants and I were sitting pretty close to the TV. Maybe it's just because I am a lesbian, but The L Word is far hotter than "Queer As Folk." The token lesbian couple on QAF are sweet, but they don't make me want to run down the street in search of the first available woman with whom to indulge my newly re-inspired lesbian friskiness. Though the cast lacks some of those scary lesbians you wouldn't want your mom to see you with at the mall, the script and storylines are pretty damned accurate. The cast suits me fine. I never was into mullet heads, stone butches or rodeo girls. The show should be shown on Saturday nights. I can envision having women over to watch it as a weekly mating ritual. I know one thing, it'll inspire more hot lesbian sex than all the soccer tournaments, Melissa Etheridge concerts, HBO Ellen specials and new Good Vibrations catalogues combined. And, as suspected lesbian Martha Stewart would say, that's a good thing. Did you see it?
Tell us your take on it.

No comments: