Wednesday, February 25, 2004

The Pulp Friction Interview:
Sandra Diaz-Twine
Million Dollar Winner, Survivor Pearl Islands

As regular readers know, I am a Survivor fanatic and recently dropped Sandra Diaz-Twine an e-mail congratulating her on her well deserved win. She agreed to answer a few questions for my Blog, and here they are:

Karen Zipdrive:
My Blog readers and I went wild when you won the million bucks, and we expected you to be in the All Star show. Were you invited, and if so, why didn't you go?

Sandra Diaz-Twine:
I was invited but I didn't go because I was sick with parasites, and I didn't know if was from the water not being boiled long enough or from the fish not being cooked thoroughly, and my hair was falling out in clumps.

KZ:
Way to go on not collecting a single vote at tribal council! Do you have any regrets about how you played the game? Would you do anything differently next time?
SDT:
I wouldn't change a thing, only because I won.

KZ:
I have read many interviews you've given about Jonny Fairplay, and it's obvious you thought he was a real jackass. My readers and I couldn't stand him, either. My favorite line of yours was when his grandmother (allegedly) died, you said you "didn't feel that bad because if she raised him, she must be evil." What I want to know is, was he even more gross in person than he was on TV?
SDT:
Jon is awful but I think he made it a point to be extra awful just for the show. But we talk now 'cause everything has been said and done.

KZ:
Lil seemed to us like a whiny, wobbly chinned crybaby who used that scout leader bullshit to make herself look honorable, brave and resourceful. Many times on the show, tribe members said she'd be hard to beat because "everyone liked her." From the looks of it, she annoyed everyone, so did y'all discuss it and plan to fake her out just to let her believe everyone liked her?
SDT:
I honestly believed the others liked Lil because there were times that I would argue with her and cuss her out, yet everyone came to her defense.

KZ:
There's a whole mess of Survivor memorabilia for sale on E-Bay. Did you bring home any souvenirs, like your buff?
SDT:
The only thing I did keep was my black buff.

KZ:
Was Rupert really as cool as he seemed? Are you still tight with Christa and/or Darrah?
SDT:
I'm really close to Christa and have stayed at her home in California on two separate occasions. Darrah and I talk by e-mail, as I do with all the other Survivors. Rupert is really down to earth, and me and him just clicked from the beginning.

KZ:
On the final show when you won the million, girl, you looked HOT. Did you go to a stylist and do the makeover thing, or do you just clean up really good? What about now, are you with a trainer or working out or what? Does your husband Marcus treat you even better, like the Hot Jungle Goddess you proved you were?
SDT:
The hair and makeup for me and the others was done by the same CBS makeup artist who does the hair and makeup for The Price is Right. I still don't exercise, and my hubby treats me the same. Things really haven't changed much for us, with the exception of the money.

KZ:
My readers and I really loved your colossal balls! Did you really call and quit your job from the green room of the Letterman show right before you went on?
SDT:
Yes, it's true-- only because I had so many obligations with Survivor and I didn't want the work piling up for me or someone else.

KZ:
You've been on dozens of shows and met tons of celebrities as the big winner of Survivor Pearl Islands. Who have you met that you thought was totally cool, who made you nervous and who asked you the sharpest questions?
SDT:
Julie Chen and Harry Smith are the nicest people. Hannah and Rene are very delightful, they all are very down to earth and approachable. Letterman made me nervous. Howard Stern was very nice and respectful to me. Regis and Kelly were cool and funny.

KZ:
We know after taxes you bagged about $600,000 in prize money. Did you and Marcus hook up with a good financial planner and invest a good chunk of it so you
could grow the money and stay rich for the long haul?
SDT:
Yup, we've invested the majority of the money.

KZ:
Your daughters, Tatiana, 8, and Alanna, 6, have a mom who kicks ass and takes names. What lessons you learned from being the baddest ass female Survivor
winner in history will you teach your little girls?
SDT:
That's a good question. I guess I'll teach them just to believe in themselves, no matter what other people say. I'll say if you think you can do it, then go for it.

KZ:
My readers and I think you have a lot of stage presence, intelligence, common sense, humor and flair. The public obviously loves you. Do you have any political or show business aspirations?
SDT:
I'm open to anything that comes my way, but so far nothing has come through.


Sandra, thanks for sharing your thoughts with me and the people who read Pulp Friction.
It's been a big thrill for me.

No comments: