Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dumbledore is Gay!

Sorry, I had a photo of Albus Dumbledore all set to upload but Blogger is having some technical problems that won't allow uploads for now. Hey, it's a free service, they deserve a break.
Anyway, at a speech given recently in NYC, Harry Potter author J.R. Rowling said Hogwart's Headmaster Albus Dumbledore is gay.
I love it.
Rowling has made billions off the Harry Potter book & movie series, so why the hell not say a major character is a gay man? The Jesus Freak homophobes don't let their kids read Harry Potter anyway, so where's the harm?
Hopefully, evolved parents will explain to their kids that the beloved character is gay and it's no big deal.
But of course, the Fox News crowd will raise hell about this, hillbilly churches will burn books and neo-con pundits will make it a big ass story.

9 comments:

Lulu Maude said...

She explained his great love, his great disappointment. I thought it was very sweet.

Lulu Maude said...

Unfortunately, though,isn't Dumbledore also dead? (I only read the first book, but I seem to remember his getting offed at some point, according to the HP gossip...)

Anonymous said...

Yeah- he died in book 6.
How can anyone stop at Book #1?
My girlfriend at the time sort of charmed me into reading book #1 and after that I was hooked.

Lulu, the Dewey Dame said...

I'm just weird, but I like my good-n-evil stuff to be more institutional and bland on some level.

Like life under capitalism!

Jane said...

I wish this had been referred to in the books. I love the series! I almost didn't want to start Book 7 because once I finished it I knew there would be no more. Four hours later it was all over.

dguzman said...

This is the first I'm hearing of this--wow. Go Rowling! But it is sad that it's only now coming out (so to speak) and wasn't really even remotely hinted at in the books.

You're right about the nuts who's go even more nuts about HP; they weren't reading it anyway, and who gives a shit. Their loss.

Anonymous said...

Four hours?? It took me a week.

Jane said...

I was in town at 8.50am ( it went on sale here at 9.01am) to check out the hype at the bookshop next to the dept store I work in, then went into work, bought three copies, dropped one off to a friend and another to my nephew. I went home, held it in my hands for about five minutes and then took to the couch until it was all over. I didn't even look at the last page until I reached it!

lazydog said...

I'm still not even a quarter of the way through it... My gf and her friend were both so morose afterwards that I've not had much incentive to get through it. Not that I have any idea what happens in the book. I will finish it eventually...