Friday, November 22, 2002

Miss World: Infidels and Demon Spawn in Swimwear

From Reuters:
...The Miss World contest, which Nigerian officials hope will showcase the country and add to its tourist appeal, initially ran into trouble amid worldwide publicity over Amina Lawal, a 31-year-old woman who was sentenced under Islamic law to death by stoning for bearing a child out of wedlock.
Following assurances by the government that no one would be stoned, some 90 contestants arrived in Nigeria last week, with many voicing support for Lawal and other women sentenced to death by courts enforcing Islamic sharia law.....

Lemme see if I got this straight.
It's okay for an Islamic man to knock up an Islamic woman, but she faces death by stoning if she is discovered. Gee, that sounds fair. "Sharia" must mean ridiculous in whatever language it is.
Now I am no beauty pageant fan, but I don't mind them. It's not my thing, but neither are tractor pulls.
That doesn't mean I think either should be banned, nor does it mean I think my values are any more or less important than anyone else's, unless someone else's includes stoning to death an unwed mother, disrupting an ages old beauty contest or otherwise smashing their beliefs into people's faces by whatever means possible.
Who is the Allah guy? He doesn't sound like any manifestation of God I've ever read about. More importantly, why would anyone choose to follow a deity whose tenets are so archaic they disrupt the entire world?
Why are intelligent women still following this ass backward religion?
I mean, I was born Catholic, but I realized by age 12 they were selling crap I wasn't in the market for. I had a choice and I made it.
Any woman who tolerates any religion that has no tolerance for women should wise up and smell the mint tea. Are there no learned Islamic women willing to come out and denounce this hate mongering, dogmatic, sexist religion?
What exactly are the payoffs of being an Islamic woman? You tell me. I can't see any.

No comments: