Tuesday, July 01, 2003

Do Not Call

Wouldn't it be funny if the massive DO NOT CALL campaign, where we register our phone numbers with the feds to block telemarketers, was a ruse to GET our phone numbers? Better not be, I just registered.
We need to take the movement to the Internet and get a DO NOT SPAM thing going on.
This morning I got maybe 40 e-mails, all of them mailer daemon or postmaster spam. I have some kind of bug that AOL advised me how to fix. Alas, I couldn't decipher a word they wrote and their message disappeared because all the spam knocked it off my old mail list within a few hours.
We also need a national NO SHITTY CALLS registry. That would cover calls where friends and/or family want to borrow something, need a pet sitter, want to whine about their horrid lover or spouse, or say the dreaded, "I just need to vent."
I have caller ID and voice mail. All three of my phones have caller ID. Besides the ATM, those features have been the greatest invention of the 20th century. Still the telemarketers sneak in at times, but not for long.
If you haven't already done it, you can register to block telemarketers at http://www.donotcall.gov.
You're welcome.

No comments: