Wednesday, May 01, 2002

The Miracle of the Breakfast Taco

In South Texas, we have a custom that cannot be denied for its restorative and healing properties.
The breakfast taco.
In a warm, soft flour tortilla, ingredients like eggs, potatoes, bacon, chorizo, sausage, guacamole, beans and cheese are mixed and matched to create fabulous gastronomic treats.
For about three and a half bucks, one can find solace in a couple of tacos and a cup of coffee.
After I dropped off my beloved kitten at the vet this morning, the only thing that could fill the void in my soul was a trip to the simple, ramshackle Blanco Cafe, where I ordered coffee, a potato and egg taco and a bacon and egg taco.
No bagel can take the place of a warm breakfast taco.
No biscuits, müeslix, protein shake, energy bar or Grand Slam breakfast can top the breakfast taco for soul cleansing, mind clearing, emotion soothing goodness.
Yankees do not know the breakfast taco.
Canadians certainly do not know the breakfast taco.
Californians call them burritos, but they are all wrong, bastardized versions of the true breakfast taco.
I will live in South Texas forever because of the breakfast taco, for only in South Texas do they truly understand the sanctity of this wondrous epicurean gift.
If I were on death row and my last meal was a breakfast, well...you can guess the rest.

No comments: