Thursday, May 09, 2002

Nother People's Blogs: None of You're Bidness

I see my rant regarding ignorance of grammar and spelling struck a nerve or two around the blog world. Too fucking bad.
Some maintain that spelling and grammar make no difference in communication, so they blather on about their lives and opinions with careless disregard for the reader's ease of comprehension.
With spell check and even grammar check on some programs, lazy spellers and bad grammarians are just that, lazy. Chances are if people are lax about presentation, what they are presenting is usually crap anyway.
Imagine Mark Twain or Steven King submitting a manuscript to a publisher and saying, "I know your gonna read it fer spellin an such so I didnt bother to."
Same goes for people who try to camouflage their insecurity on a subject by using excessively technical terms and acronyms so specialized nobody knows what the fuck they are trying to say.
I don't know, maybe because I am an editor and journalist it makes me especially twitchy to read ignorant or constipated prose.
I don't seek it out, but when someone points it out to me with an LOL attached to the link, I take a perverse pleasure in reading it. Same with bad art, I like to see what people can come up with to horrify the senses.
Try this site for laughs (sorry, I can't hyperlink with a Mac)
http://www.badart.com.
Oh, and for the lazy asses? Git over you'reselfs and use you're scratch-off winnins to git you a dictionerry or a stile manuel.

No comments: