Thursday, April 11, 2002

It Never Fails

I had lunch at a Chinese buffet today. Seems I ate dinner there Monday and it was so good, a friend and I returned there for lunch today.
I hate buffets, especially ones with great food.
I think they breed gluttony, and I hardly need much reason to go overboard.
So I loaded my plate with a medium size pile of food and sat down.
And here comes the 'it never fails' part.
Right in my line of vision comes the largest woman in San Antonio, who sits down with her three heaping plates of food (I am not kidding).
She was not fat, she was beyond fat. Looked to be around 450-475 lbs.
Now I am no stringbean, so I am not making fun of her, it's just that I felt guilty enough being at a buffet with a full plate, and having to watch her eat a dozen crabmeat rangoons, 40 teriyaki chicken sticks, 10 eggrolls, a mixing bowl of fried rice, three pounds of sesame beef, three pounds of beef with broccoli and a six inch pile of lemon chicken was just too much.
It ruined my second trip to the buffet line. I returned with just one teriyaki chicken stick, a little spoon of white rice and 6 thin green beans.
By then she was eating dessert: three pieces of cheesecake and two eclairs. Oh, and some watermelon and a little blue Jello.
I was feeling sorry for her by then, wondering what made her want to eat that much food at one time.
I visited the ladies room after I finished eating, and as I came out of the stall I heard a woman slapping a toddler and hissing for the kid, "not to act that way."
It was the large lady with a horrible scowl on her face, tugging at her terrified little child.
I looked at her and before I knew it, I heard myself gulp and say, "Yipes." She looked like she was ready to slap me next, so I left in a hurry. Usually I say something when I see a parent smacking a kid. Not this time.
It'll be a while before I return to a buffet restaurant.
I just can't take the guilt, and my jeans can't take the added pressure.

No comments: