Friday, April 12, 2002

My Latest Gig

What I do for a living is write, mostly corporate bullshit like annual reports, newsletters, stockholder news and brochures. I also do a little design and illustration, since that's what I used to do for 15 years. And I write features for magazines and newspapers. And I edit, and I do public relations planning. Words, words, words.
What I do on the side is faux finishing walls. Like giant abstract paintings, they are fun and all instinct, no thinking allowed.
My lawyer called me the other night, telling me she's building a new house and asking if I'd do her master bedroom. She and her partner Christa, also a lawyer, are not building a new house, they are building a mansion. I discovered that today.
It's a gorgeous Mediterranean palace with an elevator and an upstairs patio with an outdoor fireplace. The ceilings are at least 14 feet. All the floors are either marble, travertine (looks like agate) or hardwood. It's a spectacular place.
Looks like I am in for dirty nails, a backache and tons of money in the coming weeks.
I am sort of excited and sort of dreading the physical work, but the idea of having these huge walls blank and ready for me to coax to life with color and texture makes me feel like Michelangelo, only with far less talent and two lawyers watching me work instead of one Pope Julius.
We still have to look through tons of color swatches and finishing techniques, so it'll be a while before paint touches the walls, but this will make for an interesting spring project.
I am sure painting blogs will be even worse than haircut blogs, but I'll try to keep them bright, so to speak.

No comments: